Wednesday, May 23, 2012

iLearn Technology Blog Reflection: Replacing the Friday Folder with a Podcast

After reading this blog on using voxie pro as a Friday folder substitute, I found it interesting and motivating to think outside the box using technology in the classroom as well as at home for parents.  Assuming all parents have some sort of technology to view these audio updates, this sounds like a really great idea.  I agree with the teachers in that this is a much more efficient way to update parents on their children rather than just sending a sheet of paper home.  Because teachers are recording during the activity/during the school day, students are able to recall information better and are more focused on giving details.  I also agree with the comment about how interesting it would be to start this with a kindergardener and follow them through their years of schooling.  That would be a remarkable way to track progress and visually see and hear where students may need improvement.  I can imagine parents find a certain joy in seeing and hearing their child and their child's teachers give updates on what they are learning in school.  This is a fantastic idea that takes "Friday Folders" to a new level!

2 comments:

  1. This sounds awesome! I didn't know anything about this kind of program. I agree that parents would probably really be onboard with this. It would even be nice as educators to be able to see the progression of our students. I would be excited to learn more about this and potentially implement it in my class with parents!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked the ilearntechnology blog as well. I liked this woman's approach to presenting the information -- she laid it out clearly and gave great tips on how to use it. I didn't see this entry about the Friday folder podcast but, as a parent, I love it! Thanks for pointing that one out.

    ReplyDelete