Monday, July 30, 2012

5 Reasons to Allow Students to Use Cell Phones in Class Reflection

I thought this article was short and sweet and contained valid information.  However, I don't necessarily agree with all of it.  I think it went over everything in a very general black and white kind of way.  There are always some gray areas in education.  Overall, I think exposing students to technology is important, especially technology they will be encountering on a daily basis.  I also think there needs to be a balance.  Allowing students to use their cell phones in class whenever they want is not realistic.  Maybe it is because I am working in the elementary grades, but students must have some restrictions or some limits.  Younger children especially have not learned certain limits and could potentially use cell phones for inappropriate behaviors.  Many younger students are still learning how to mature and are still pushing boundaries, allowing students to use their phones whenever they want could be a huge distraction for other students.  Of course I want to think the best of all my students but I know from experience that allowing too much freedom can be a mistake.  In general I agree with all the reasons.   I completely agree with preparing students for life after class. teaching students to use their cell phones as a resource could be extremely beneficial, but I don't think allowing students to use their phones whenever they want will contribute to this fact.  I think there can be time in class to use it and times not to use it.  I thought the point about student's cheating was interesting because I do think teachers tend to distrust students a lot when it comes to testing.  I think we should be using more PBL approaches when teaching which would eliminate the need to worry about cheating.  I believe students should be exposed to different resources within the technology field.  Cell phones are a resource that can be used widely because of the popularity among smart phones.  Students have access to internet, apps, and other resources on their phone.  However, I do believe a classroom is a place for learning and there should be rules and limits and students need to learn to follow them, because in the work place there will also most likely be rules and procedures to follow.  As a teacher, I am not supposed to be on my phone whenever I want during school hours, I would expect the same from my students.  That is not to say I don't ever want my students on their cell phones, I just think there is a time and place.

No comments:

Post a Comment