Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Enhance/Support Your Classroom with Podcasts

Podcasts are becoming more and more popular.  Students, no matter what age, enjoy variety in their learning.  Podcasts are a great way to provide that variety while including rich content.  I never really understood the benefit to podcasts until I listened to one.  They are very interesting and easy to listen and follow along.  When I observed a 4th grade social studies class I was amazed at the impact of podcasts in the classroom.  The podcast the students were watching was VA Trekkers (http://www.virginiatrekkers.com/Menu/Podcasts).  The students were so engaged and retained so much of the information.  Students watched different VA trekker podcasts every week and LOVED it.  They knew the theme song and really thought they were being rewarded for getting such a fun experience.  After the podcast the teacher I observed would incorporate table talk and some activity.  I really saw the benefit of using podcasts in the classroom.  I also love the idea of letting students create their own podcast.  It puts such a fun spin on reports they are giving.

No comments:

Post a Comment