Wednesday, June 6, 2012

The Nuts and Bolts of 21st Teaching Reflection

This blog post was really interesting to read for multiple reasons.  The first being that it elaborated on something teachers experience all the time, which is how to lead a class and give students the information they need without lecturing the entire time.  I really liked how Shelly Wright talked about her experience in a sequential order and included difficulties as well as strengths within the lesson.  I loved how she allowed students to be so independent in the project while also working collaboratively.  The way she incorporated technology into this project seemed really effective.  I love the idea of letting students work together and use things like google docs to build a solid document full of different research.  I had never heard of using delicious to bookmark important sites.  I went through the website and was amazed with how much it had to offer and I immediately thought of how I could use that in my classroom with all different age children.  I like how she was able to teach the difference between primary and secondary resources and then let the students explore the web to really see the difference between the two.  I could relate to Ms. Wright when she talked about figuring out her role when trying to let the students take charge.  It is such a challenge to let students work together to figure out important skills and information, but when they do it can be so successful and meaningful.
What I found equally interesting as the actual blog topic was the amount of responses to her blog.  People left such great feedback and suggestions.  I found it really enjoyable to read through them.  I watched the video someone suggested to share with her class and I found it really interesting.  The video talked about how we should be encourage learning by allowing students to do things they are good as instead of restricting them.  It was a great video that could lead to interesting discussions/debates.

No comments:

Post a Comment